This year, for halloween, I decided I wanted to be Khaleesi (Daenerys Targaryen) from Game of Thrones. I scoured the internet trying to find the dress I wanted to replicate, because she has so many amazing ones! I’ve been wanting to make a Khaleesi-style dress for a long time, so I was super excited to start on a Khaleesi costume!
- McCalls 6941 (bodice only)
- 4 yards of royal blue cotton gauze fabric
- 1 2 invisible zippers & hooks and eyes
I found a great post from Michelle Carragher, who does a lot of embroidery for the show, showing how to do the dragonscale that the dress features. I didn’t do as much as I wanted to, because I only let myself have a week to make the dress.
After I (almost) finished the bodice (the night before my school party), I had to wing it for the skirt. I looked over all the pictures of the dress I could find to figure out what I wanted to do. I cut two identical pieces and wrapped them around bodice, and sewed them in place. I screwed up the zipper placement at least 5 times before I finally gave up and left for the party with the zip facing my back instead of the outside of the dress. I then zipped the zip right off the zipper before I got to fixing it. Soooo…I frantically attached 3 sets of hooks and eyes to keep the back closed during the party. I bought a new zipper and fixed it for real before the second party I went to, even though I said I never wanted to sew another zipper.
Final notes: I kinda want to make this again, in a fabric that won’t keep growing while I wear it (the lining saved me!), and with more elaborate embroidery. Alternately, I could make another Khaleesi costume, which is a solid option. BUT, I have to work on passing my qualifying exam first (grad school problems)… 🙂